The Importance of Professional Hygienic Cleanings
Supplementing your daily oral care routine with professional hygienic cleanings helps protect your oral health while preventing the need for more extensive and expensive procedures in the future. Dr. Tim Clavin in Minneapolis, MN, offers dental cleanings to remove bacteria and debris, hindering the development of gum disease and dental decay. Most dental professionals agree that adults should visit their dentist at least twice a year for a dental examination and professional cleaning.
What Is Dental Prophylaxis?
The term prophylaxis refers to medical actions taken to prevent disease. Dental prophylaxis is a procedure intended to eliminate biotoxins and bacteria caused by remaining food particles. At-home dental hygiene routines are important, but they do not address issues as effectively as professional hygienic cleanings. Your annual cleaning involves a variety of procedures that removes food debris, bacterial plaque, tartar, and extrinsic stains on your teeth.
Benefits of Professional Cleaning
There are many benefits to maintaining routine, professional dental cleanings and other forms of dental prophylaxis, including:
- Cavity prevention: Plaque is the leading cause of tooth decay. If left untreated, it can damage your tooth enamel and lead to cavities. While regular brushing and flossing can reduce the presence of plaque, professional cleanings are more effective at minimizing your risk of decay.
- Avoiding tooth loss: Gum disease can affect the supporting bone, causing teeth to loosen and fall out. Typically, gum disease stems from plaque buildup, which you can treat with regular professional cleanings and a consistent home care routine.
- Oral cancer detection: Early diagnosis of oral cancer is crucial to improving your prognosis. You will be screened for oral cancer during your cleaning and exam.
Regular professional hygienic cleanings are the best way to protect your oral health and prevent serious dental issues.
- Brightening your smile: Many of the foods and beverages we enjoy daily, such as coffee and tea, can affect the color of your teeth. During your professional dental cleaning, the hygienist will polish your teeth, helping diminish built-up stains.
- Freshening your breath: The best way to prevent persistent bad breath is by maintaining good oral health. Combining your at-home oral care routine with regular dental prophylaxis helps keep your mouth healthy and your breath fresh.
- Maintaining oral and overall health: Research indicates that gum disease is linked to heart disease, diabetes, and low birth weight in babies, as well as other serious medical conditions. Regular dental screenings can detect warning signs early.
Most dental insurance plans cover the entire cost of dental cleanings and oral exams. By taking healthy, preventive steps now, you can help protect your oral health and potentially avoid more extensive and costly procedures in the future.
Your Dental Cleaning Visit
Dental prophylaxis involves a thorough cleaning by the dental hygienist and an examination conducted by Dr. Clavin. During your cleaning, our hygienist will remove any buildup of plaque or tartar, before polishing your teeth. Dr. Clavin will then examine your teeth and gums for signs of disease or other issues. At some visits, we may also take x-rays of your teeth, mouth, and jaw.
Protect Your Oral Health
Regular professional hygienic cleanings are the best way to protect your oral health and prevent serious dental issues. Dr. Clavin is dedicated to maintaining your oral and overall health. Call our office at 612-332-5122 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.
“Dr. Clavin and his staff made me feel welcome and comfortable from the very beginning. It was one of the most pleasant dental experiences I have ever had!” Madeline L.